Updates on the Roomba project

I noticed yesterday that I had a mention on the OSH Park blog.  Besides that, I have found through my testing this month that the device can run for about 30 hours on a CR2035 battery.  In normal use, this amounts to almost a full month of usage, which isn’t bad, but I’m going to experiment to see if I can get it better.  I’ll start by tweaking the firmware to see if I can get it to be a bit sleepier and still work.  Stay tuned.

2 thoughts on “Updates on the Roomba project”

  1. Very neat board! Thanks for the idea.

    I think I’ll try to replicate this using a DigiSpark and some Arduino code:

    int irled = 8;

    void setup() {
    pinMode(irled, OUTPUT);

    void loop() {
    tone(irled, 38000, 1);

    I’ll have to grab some coin cell mounts and wire one up.

    Thanks again for contributing your Perfect Purple PCB!

    1. Go for it! I’ve seen that some folks seem to have had success that way. You could also try out the IRRemote Arduino library that parts of my firmware are based on; just link up my “send” function to that library instead of the simpler code in the firmware repository. Honestly, I came to my current firmware through a lot of testing, and I personally wasn’t able to get it to work without a more robust IRRemote-style solution; but your mileage may vary. 🙂

      See https://github.com/Petezah/roomba_wall for my earlier Arduino implementation, and https://github.com/Petezah/roomba_wall_v2 for my current designs and firmware.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.